Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Confession #1: You don't know what you've got until it's gone -- but you won't mind at all.

I attended summer welcome for the University of Missouri over the weekend. Orientation began on Sunday, June 10, and I met TONS of new people. We were separated into small groups and continually moved from session to session with the same kids in an effort to avoid any sort of crippling awkwardness. It was so much fun and I wish I could relive it again and again! (Of course, that's what college is...) The group leaders were older students at Mizzou who made us feel welcomed and answered any questions we had. They even held a Summer Welcome Revue on Sunday night where the leaders did lip syncs and skits to entertain us. It was really great! I laughed seriously the entire time and everyone did fantastic!! Overall, every single person that helped with any part of the weekend did an amazing job and I couldn't have asked for a better first experience as a Missouri Tiger.

I went into the trip imagining that I wouldn't be able to find myself in the crowd -- that I would miss all of my best friends to an extent that would keep me from opening up to others. But that wasn't the case at all. I mean obviously it was awkward at first to just walk up to random people and be myself, but it got easier throughout the day, and by the last session I had a little group of friends that I hung out and laughed with until about 2 AM. I wasn't struck with coyness and lonely all day. I opened up in a way I didn't expect myself to and made friends - friends that I hope to keep over the next four years. The majority of the kids I met are actually in the same res hall I'm in, which will make it easier to stay connected. I was surprised to find myself not missing my best friends every second of every minute of every hour. I actually didn't think about anyone from back home for the majority of the day. That in itself just showed me how ready I am to move on and get to Mizzou. Don't get me wrong, I am overwhelmingly blessed by the group of friends I have here. I love everyone in Texas and they have helped me to become the person that I am today. Every fight or happiness that I have ever had with my best friends is something that I would never take back -- but at the same time, I am so incredibly ready for my future. To move to a new state and start a new life. To be a Missouri Tiger until 2016 and beyond.

The phrase "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" is full of truth. But, then again, I don't mind saying goodbye. It just gives me room for the future.

And maybe I'm a little bit wrong. Maybe I'm still blinded by excitement and I don't fully understand the hardship that's going to come in August when I move over 500 miles away and see all of my best friends maybe 3 times a year. But for right now, I'm content with this excitement. It keeps me focused and moving forward.

I will always appreciate the old. But I am ready to get on with my new.


No comments:

Post a Comment